PS3 and IBM Cell SDK v3.0

Ian MacArthur imacarthur at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:57:34 MDT 2008

> I believe the link you are looking for is here:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ibm/cell-sdk.shtml

Thanks for the URL, but I'm not sure that it helps... I'd seen that
page recently, and although it says Terra Soft is licensed by IBM to
install the Cell SDK in YDL, it doesn't say which version of the SDK
is bundled, and the link on that page to IBM Alphaworks points to the
v2.1 (the page basically has a banner saying its been superseded.)

Hence my concerns... FWIW the v2.1 and v3.0 SDK have fairly
substantial differences, so we'd really rather go with the v3.0 if
it's available.

That said, I'm pretty sure I saw a page *somewhere* that said YDL 6.0
bundled the v3.0 SDK, but now I can't find that page - and I guess
I'd really like to see a list that stated just what, from the SDK, is
actually bundled. For example, these dev machines probably will not
be on the internet, so accessing the downloads from the Barcelona SC
is not going to be straightforward...

At the end of the day, I can always get the SDK direct from IBM of
course, but they only "officially" support RHEL 5.1 and fedora 7,
neither of which particularly suit my needs... They are too big for a
PS3 target, for a start! Alternately, I can get the f7 tarball from
IBM, then see how much of that will play on a YDL 6.0 host, rpm/alien/
whatever permitting...

But I'm still *assuming* the YDL 6.0 is way ahead of me on this, and
that all will Just Work.

As a slight aside - where are people with this PS3 disk partition
thing, where the PS3 hypervisor splits up the disk as 10GB/(the
rest), and you have to choose whether the linux or game OS get the
big chunk...? How does that work out?

I'm assuming that 10GB is too small to be really useful, so you need
to allocate the big chunk to YDL and accept that the game OS will be
accordingly crippled by lack of disk (probably not actually an issue
for me anyway - I just wondered!)
How much disk does a YDL 6.0 install chew up anyway? Is a big
external USB disk a sensible way forward?

Thanks in advance,
--
imm