New 5.02 install seems incomplete

Gerardo Juarez-Mondragon gerardojm1957 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:05:47 MDT 2008

Excellent! But so you know and other newbies as well:

If you see a localhost login prompt, your installation is most likely
complete, but the run level is not 5 (X graphic interface), and
usually will be 3 (network, no X), as it happened in your case. What
default run level the machine boots on, is configured in /etc/inittab.
Look for the line containing initdefault, it has a number of very
clear comments, so you can change a single number and reboot. Running
the 'init' command is normally used for temporary run level changes,
not for setting the default. Besides it would be inconvenient having
to become root every time.

Even with run level 3, you could login as root -or any other user- and
try executing startx from the system prompt. The graphic desktop you
have selected should come up, with the account already logged in. If,
as it happened with Fedora, it cannot find the support for the
graphics card, then  you can still go and try to fix the configuration
file for X, which would be somewhere around /etc/X11 (xorg.conf, I
think). Before you do this you should have your hardware specs,
particularly your monitor. But these modifications go beyond the scope
of this brief explanation :-)

As for creating other non-root users: login as root and simply try the
following to create user
'bob':

adduser bob
passwd bob