[yellowdog-announce] 'mental ray' Video Render Engine for Yellow Dog Linux: Press Release 2002 02/13

Subject: [yellowdog-announce] 'mental ray' Video Render Engine for Yellow Dog Linux: Press Release 2002 02/13
From: Kai Staats (kstaats@terrasoftsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 01:10:12 MST

MENTALRAY FOR YELLOW DOG LINUX

Loveland, Colorado -- 13 February 2002 -- Terra Soft Solutions, Inc., the leading developer of integrated PowerPC Linux solutions announces the release of 'mental ray' video render engine for Yellow Dog Linux and the Yellow briQ Nodes.

Mental Images' 'mental ray' (r) is a render engine for one of the leading video rendering products, 3D Studio Max. 'mental ray' generates images of outstanding quality and unsurpassed realism and achieves scalable performance through the exploitation of parallelism on both multiprocessor machines and across networks of machines. Shipments of the new mental ray v3.1 will include support for Yellow Dog Linux.

At the conclusion of a test of a briQ rendering suite, Tigar Hare Studios' director David Hare stated: "... we have intermittent but intense rendering needs. When we render it can be for weeks at a time so anything that speeds up that process is welcomed. We have just used an eight-node briQ [render suite] on a project for Hallmark Entertainment. Using 3D Studio Max and MentalRay, the briQs provided reliable rendering significantly faster than our dual Pentiums ... never crashed during the project, which speaks to the robustness of the Linux operating system as well as the briQs [themselves]."

The Yellow briQ Node is a CD-ROM formfactor computer which features a PowerPC 750 (G3) or Motorola AltiVec enhanced 7400 (G4) RISC processor. The briQ may function as a node in a video render suite with YDL, Mac OS, or MS Windows front-end; or as a high performance computing cluster node with YDL server.

About Mental Images
Mental images GmbH & Co. KG is a recognized leader in providing next generation rendering and modeling software technology to the entertainment, CAD and visualization markets. Users of 'mental ray' include most of the leading visual effects and digital film studios, game development companies, and companies in the automotive and aerospace industries.

For more information visit http://www.mental.com/

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc. is a leading developer of innovative technologies and provider of integrated HPC solutions for PowerPC Linux. Yellow Dog Linux, the flagship product, has boosted viability of Linux on PowerPC microprocessors. Black Lab provides an HPC node creation and management suite, designed to work with a number of PowerPC platforms, including Macintosh and the Yellow briQ Node, a high-density PowerPC Linux computer.

For more information, visit http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/