[yellowdog-announce] Yellow Dog Linux GONE HOME Beta Offered at MacWorld NY: Press Release 20 July 2000

Subject: [yellowdog-announce] Yellow Dog Linux GONE HOME Beta Offered at MacWorld NY: Press Release 20 July 2000
From: Kai Staats (kstaats@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 07:11:25 MDT

YELLOW DOG LINUX GONE HOME DEBUTS AT MACWORLD NY

New York, NY -- 20 July 2000 -- Terra Soft Solutions, Inc., the leading
developer of Linux solutions for PowerPC(tm) microprocessors, is offering a
beta release of Yellow Dog Linux Gone Home, their Linux distribution for
home users that will feature a revolutionary new installer.

"Written from the ground up almost entirely in [the programming language]
Python, our installer features auto-probing of the keyboard, mouse, CD, and
hard drives, and contains a new partitioner. I have been demo'ng on an
iBook ... the feedback is already helpful and the enthusiasm is amazing.
There is a lot of interest in Linux at this show," states Charles
Stevenson, Software Engineer for Terra Soft Solutions.

While Terra Soft has completed the interface graphics, the Gone Home beta
does not incorporate them. Dan Burcaw, CTO for Terra Soft explains, "It is
our intent to receive feedback from our beta testers before we apply the
graphics. During the next month or so, we are going to make changes to our
code based upon feedback from our beta testers. We will then merge the GUI
with the back-end code and offer Gone Home with the complete, fully tested,
rock-solid installer."

With the new installer, rebooting the computer following partitioning is
not required. The bootloader may be installed on New World ROM machines at
the user's selection, allowing most users to avoid open firmware. The
installer shows package descriptions, automatically resolves dependencies,
and offers a front-end to yup! (the automated Yellow Dog Linux update
program).

In addition, the Gone Home beta offers:
 - Post-installation configuration utilities that are identical to those
used during installation

 - Improved user configuration (during installation) allows specification
of username, password, and finger information as well, with the ability to
add any number of users during installation.

 - HelixCode Gnome

 - A new kernel with fixed gmac driver

Terra Soft Solutions has a CD-R burn station in booth #1720 and is burning
Gone Home to attendee's CD-Rs for free, including a CD-R with the purchase
of Champion Server 1.2 for free, or supplying the CD-R alone for just $5.00.

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc. is a leading developer of innovative
technologies for PowerPC Linux. Champion Server, their flagship product,
has boosted viability of Linux for PowerPC in a wide range of server
applications. For more information, please visit
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com and http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. PowerPC is a trademark of IBM Corp.
Apple and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. All
other names and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.