[yellowdog-announce] Black Lab Linux update: 2000 10/16

Subject: [yellowdog-announce] Black Lab Linux update: 2000 10/16
From: Kai Staats (kstaats@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 21:36:51 MDT

Dear Associates of Terra Soft Solutions,

A quick update about Black Lab Linux:

1 GB+ RAM SUPPORT
Several months ago Troy Benjegerdes, formerly with Terra Soft, created an
experimental kernel with support for 1 GB of RAM. However, this kernel is
not considered stable and was pre-dual processor. If you are interested in
receiving this experimental kernal, please contact Jeremias at
jsauceda@terrasoftsolutions.com.

machines with more than 768 MB of RAM a top priority. We are now allocating
resources toward the development and maintenance of a stable SMP kernel
supporting more than 768 MB of RAM.

A little history: the current deficiency in the Linux kernel stems back to
a description to link the Kernel at 0xC0000000, or 3BG. Since 32-bit
processors can only address 4GB, this leaves the kernel with 1GB of memory
addresses to work with. However, the PCI information is found at
0xF0000000, or 3.75GB, effectively leaving only 768MB of RAM in the 3GB to
3.75GB range for applications. A mechanism for coping with the 768MB
limit, named "highmem", emerged in the x86 Kernel. It works by swapping
the mapping of memory above 768MB into the 3GB to 3.75GB range. Support
for highmem on the PowerPC began to appear in the 2.4 series kernels.

OCTOBER RELEASE
The October 2000 Black Lab Linux distribution is just 3-4 days from
completion. This new version offers a beta SMP (dual processor) kernel, the
new packages offered with Champion Server 1.2.1, a DHCPD template for net
booting nodes, as well as a README designed to guide the build of an 8 node
cluster as was demonstrated at MacWorld NY 2000.

If you purchased Black Lab Linux you will receive a total of 2 updates. It
will be noted in your shipment if this is your first or your final update.
The CDRs will be burnt toward the end of this week and shipped first part
of the next. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to offering
this improved product.

Sincerely,
kai