[yellowdog-announce] Pinacor and Apple VARs to Offer Yellow Dog Linux: 4 August 1999

Subject: [yellowdog-announce] Pinacor and Apple VARs to Offer Yellow Dog Linux: 4 August 1999
From: Kai Staats (kstaats@terraplex.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 11:29:38 MDT

Loveland, CO, 4 August 1999

Terra Soft Solutions is pleased to announce domestic distribution of Yellow
Dog Linux through Pinacor and the entire Apple dealer community. "It is
time for Yellow Dog on Apple PowerPC to be recognized as a very real,
proven solution that rivals the best of Linux on Intel. We have worked hard
to produce a highly professional distribution, to offer a product that
contains the most recent kernels, libraries, and applications. Yellow Dog
on Apple hardware does not only meet industry standards for speed,
stability, and support, but will soon be widely available in retail, VAR,
and mail-order points of purchase. From day-one we envisioned strong,
national distribution channels that would enable YDL to be recognized as an
industry leader. We know our relationship with Pinacor to be a bold step
toward this goal." states Kai Staats, CEO, Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.

Terra Soft's flagship product, Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server has rapidly
gained international recognition as a professional Linux-for-PowerPC
distribution. Terra Soft currently offers in-house installation support and
through a strong relationship with Linuxcare--enterprise level technical
support; industry standard rackmount hardware from Marathon Computer; and
as announced in a recent press release, the latest, most sought-after
games. As with Civilization: Call to Power, Loki Entertainment Software and
Terra Soft will sometimes provide games for Linux on PowerPC before they
are available for the Mac OS.

Pinacor is a top-level Apple Authorized distributor that will make
available Yellow Dog Linux products to MacMall catalog and more than 25,000
resellers. Champion Server and the up-and-coming YDL Gone Home will
immediately be offered as stand-alone products. In the near future Black
Lab Linux Workstations, Champion Server, and Gone Home will be offered
pre-installed on Apple G3 hardware. Staats continues, "When a consumer can
readily purchase a G3 with Linux pre-installed, enjoy a full Apple
warranty, and boot into KDE or GNOME [graphical interfaces] from the first
time they press that power button ... then we have something to get excited
about."

"We are thrilled to be the distribution partner of Terra Soft Solutions and
Yellow Dog Linux. Our Apple dealers have been demanding a quality Linux
solution for the Mac and now have it. Yellow Dog Linux blends cutting edge
development and world class support with their proven sales and marketing
capabilities," David Bublitz, Apple Business Development Manager for
Pinacor.

Staats continues, "The folks at Pinacor are enthusiastic and eager to
embrace the power of Linux on Apple hardware. Since early in January, we
have been contacted by very enthusiastic resellers wanting to provide YDL
to their customers ... [we] promised the provision of a capable, domestic
YDL distributor and I am pleased to state we have delivered on that
promise. Yes, this is the one we have been holding-out for."

About the Yellow Dog Linux products to be offered:
Champion Server is Terra Soft's professional server distribution, now
shipping version 1.1 with support for Apple's latest hardware. While
Champion Server was designed with the server environment in mind, it has
proven to be a favorite among those who wish to dive for the first time
into Linux, enhance the performance of their old Mac, or build a full-on
server with the latest Apple hardware. Champion Server 1.1 was met with
incredible enthusiasm as a debut at MacWorld NY.

Gone Home is the much anticipated version of Yellow Dog Linux designed
specifically for the home user. It will be offered as a stand-alone
product, bundled with games and/or home-office applications, and will
introduce an entirely new graphical installer (yes, you can use your mouse
and yes, it will be open source) currently in development by Terra Soft
Solutions.

The Black Lab Linux stand-alone Workstation is a high-end development
system based upon Champion Server. It is designed to offer a robust
combination of programming languages, development libraries, applications,
top-level security, and experimental software.

About Pinacor
Based in Tempe, AZ, Pinacor delivers market-leading technology products and
innovative services to resellers, VARs, dealers and systems integrators.
With a suite of technical, financial and account management offerings, the
company provides convenient, simple and efficient services to more than
25,000 resellers. Using electronic commerce to streamline the delivery of
efficient technology solutions and services, Pinacor supports customers
worldwide from strategic distribution hubs in the United States and Latin
America. The company recently reported FY 1998 revenues of $5 billion.

Pinacor has more than 20 years of experience in the information technology
distribution channels. It was founded as part of MicroAge, Inc., a Fortune
500 provider of global technology solutions. Pinacor is the third largest
technology distributor in the United States. With Pinacor Latin America,
the company broadens its partner relationships to include operations in the
Latin American market.

The company maintains strategic U.S. distribution centers in Cincinnati,
Ohio; Miami, Florida; Paulsboro, New Jersey; Reno, Nevada; Tempe, Arizona;
and Allen, Texas. Pinacor has ISO-certified systems customization centers
in Tempe, Cincinnati and Allen. In addition, the company has in-country
distribution facilities in Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Ecuador.
Combined, these facilities encompass more than 1,000,000 square feet and
can distribute products anywhere in the Americas.

For more information visit http://www.pinacor.com/

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
Based in Loveland, CO, TSS is the developer of Yellow Dog Linux for Apple
Macintosh G3, PowerPC, and IBM RS/6000 systems. Champion Server, their
flagship product, is a highly professional distribution geared toward a
wide range of network applications such as ISPs, corporate intra/extranets,
web and network servers. Terra Soft has also introduced Black Lab Linux, a
stand-alone workstation and parallel-computing system for research and
development facilities.

For more information visit http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ and
http://www.blacklablinux.com/