[yellowdog-announce] Yellow Dog Linux for the Latest G4s: Newsletter #22 (1999 12/09)

Subject: [yellowdog-announce] Yellow Dog Linux for the Latest G4s: Newsletter #22 (1999 12/09)
From: Kai Staats (kstaats@terraplex.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 23:14:14 MST

Dear Associates of Yellow Dog Linux,

Great news! Yellow Dog Linux now installs on the latest Apple Macintosh G4s
("Sawtooth"). We owe a great deal of thanks to Benjamin Herrenschmidt of
the PowerPC Linux development community for his ongoing work with Bootx,
the G4 kernel, and "yaboot", a new boot loader.

With a "boot loader" it is possible to run Linux on a G4 with no Mac OS.
However, you will need to maintain a small HFS partition (the drive format
Mac OS requires) on which the boot loader resides. For most of us, however,
the update to the BootX Control Panel for the Mac OS offers support of the
G4 as well.

While Troy Benjegerdes and Stephen Edie of Terra Soft Solutions have
confirmed the install and functionality of Yellow Dog Linux on G4s, please
understand these updates do not represent a final, fully tested product. We
expect to be able to offer an officially supported download by MacWorld
2000.

The Yellow Dog Linux "Solutions Page" offers instructions for upgrading the
BootX Control Panel, the YDL kernel (vmlinux), and the "ramdisk image", and
(if you like to play) the introduction of the boot loader "yaboot":

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml

We look forward to your feedback--enjoy!

Sincerely,
kai

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux