Re: [ANN] yaboot critical update (1.2.3)

Subject: Re: [ANN] yaboot critical update (1.2.3)
From: Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 08:05:22 MDT

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 03:37:21PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> WARNING ! If you compile yaboot yourself, do NOT use the "yaboot.chrp"
> binary on a PowerMac. Use the "yaboot" binary. The CHRP version on a
> PowerMac may confuse Apple's Open Firmware quite badly, I've had reports
> of machines rendered unbootable just because they tried to load that
> binary. This problem seems to be related to a bug in Apple's OF that
> shokes when it encounter the ELF "notes" section that is added to
> the CHRP version of yaboot.

just a note on this, ybin 1.2.3 and later (current version 1.2.4
available at penguinppc.org/usr/ybin only) handles this intelligently,
on IBM CHRP hardware it adds the necessary .note to a temporary copy
of yaboot prior to installing it, on everything else (such as
powermacs) it installs the normal .noteless binary.

> A new version of ybin (1.2.4) have been released as well by Ethan
> Benson (link on my page).

http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin for the lazy

alaska.net is not yet updated due to my ISP's admins being dorks.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/