Re: Help with boot

Subject: Re: Help with boot
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 08:24:06 MDT

Hi Brian,

I had the same trouble. The original installer did not properly find your
macos partition.

So the solution is to tell it where to look to find the macos partition:

so as root

cd /etc/
cat yaboot.conf

Here is the relevant snippet of mine:

[kbhend@localhost /etc]$ cat yaboot.conf
# ybin options
boot=/dev/sda6
macos=/dev/hda
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
defaultos=macos

Your devices will be different. Notice the macos line.
This is the line that tells yaboot where to find your macos.
If you machine has macos on its primary ide drive (like most do) then setting
macos=/dev/hda
should work for you. Otherwise tell it specifically where to find MacOS on
your system (what the device is)

Then (someone check me if I am wrong), you have to run:

ybin -b your_boot_device_here

to copy your changes to the boot partion.

In my case the boot device is correctly given in the boot=XXXXX line. Please
double check yours.

Then once you have fixed yaboot.conf and run ybin -b your_boot_device_here
you should be good to go and "m" should start working to reboot you into macos

Hope this helps,

Kevin