Max swap size ?

Subject: Max swap size ?
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 15:23:14 MST

 Greetings,

 I have a machine running YDL with a 2.4.13 SMP kernel that has a 512 MB
swap partition. When I tried to install on other machines, they wouldn't
boot with a swap partition that big, but for some reason this one did. It
wasn't until after the other machines wouldn't boot did I notice in the
TerraSoft docs that 256MB was the max. The machine ran beautifully until
today when it did a nasty crash. My gut feeling is that it crashed when it
tried to write to the swap for the first time as it was inching up to
using almost all available RAM when it died. Is this a likely cause or do
I have bigger problems? Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

 P.S. Many thanks to all PPC Linux hackers. My servers and desktop
machines run beautifully because of your work. If any of you come to Mtl,
look me up and I'll take you out for a drink and some hospitality.

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017