Re: Status of next release of YDL?

Subject: Re: Status of next release of YDL?
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 10:44:44 MST

Ok, here's a few complaints:

I've noticed some SEVERE errors with their system. First, trying to boot
back into OS 9, i've noticed that my harddrive seems locked. This is more
than a little annoying.
The filesystem itself seems to throw away the idea of POSIX compliancy
(not 100% sure, just irritates me how they've got things stored). I'd
like to hit the idiot who set the location of the files & settings.

There seems to be an actual registry type system (much like MS uses of all
things) for handling interface values. I.E. setting the default view
settings to view all files. This is also not quite accurate, in that
after installing Developer tools, it was still invisible.

Other concerns. Rather than trying to change from a resource fork based
filesystem to a more normal fs, it appears they're trying to emulate it,
and it handles poorly.

I DEFINITELY have to agree with the problems getting software to compile.
From initial appearence, developing on OS X, although easier than OS 9 and
other releases, still seems to be a grade A B$#@%. I'm NOT impressed.

Another major complaint - the nice pretty graphics all over the place eat
up processor time & memory. It's pretty dang slow on my 400Mhz G3 laptop.
Even with 200 MB Ram in it.

I could go on and on on the things that I've found irritating in OS X. I
know friends of mine who were steadfast Mac people hate the sucker (not
that I can blame them, but I for different reasons). Usually, their
complaint has to do with the finder, the lack of seeing the files in the
Desktop view system, and such topics. I just see it as more of a general
overall hack.

Any other comments out there? I'm more than open to em.
Jason

| Jason McIntosh | CELL: 573-424-7612 |
| Webmaster, thinker, etc. | WORK: 573-884-3865 |
| http://web.missouri.edu/~c717990/ | |
|"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are |
|for. I only coded it." |
|(Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting) |