Re: Status of next release of YDL?

Subject: Re: Status of next release of YDL?
From: Bryan Stillwell (bstill@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 12:35:11 MST

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:17:56PM -0600, Jason McIntosh wrote:

>I noticed that on the ftp development server, there isn't an ISO yet.
>Do you have any plans or have you started on a graphical installer yet?
>If so, what are you using as the base for the installer? Still
>planning on using straight frame buffer device? Also (this is a
>personal interest) is there going to be any support for dual headed
>devices, such as laptop devices?

Yes we're working on a graphical installer. In YDL 2.0 it will be an X
based installer, but we're hoping to have it working on the framebuffer
in YDL 2.1 or 2.2. The base of the installer was written by us in
python and the text mode version is mostly working right now. One of
the guys here is currently working on getting parted working on ppc
linux, which will probably be our partitioning tool in 2.0.

There isn't currently a working ISO of YDL 2.0 yet. We've been testing
it by installing the rpms on a different partition by calling rpm with
the --root option.

The very core of the installer is yup, which has improved quite a bit
since YDL CS 1.2.1. If you're interested in finding out more about the
changes you can go to http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/yup/ and look
at the ChangeLog in cvs. One of the biggest changes is that it no
longer takes 100MB+ of memory while running. This was caused by massive
memory leaks in the rpm python bindings. It's now more like 5MB.

Bryan

--
  Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.           | Software Engineer
  http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/   | bstill@terraplex.com