Getting PPCLinux Sound in Order

Subject: Getting PPCLinux Sound in Order
From: jeramy b smith (jeramy@ash.penguinppc.org)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 06:19:14 MDT

Jack Moffitt's work on ibook2 sound inspired me to build some stuff so we
can try to get userland in good shape. There has been no coordinated
effort to fix PPCLinux sound from end to end but hopefully the momentum
will slowly gather.

I put some binaries here:
http://penguinppc.org/~jeramy/YDL2

I built xmms-1.2.5 with an ogg plugin endianness fix by Jon Rockaway.
I built the complete ogg/vorbis toolkit to replace the beta version in
YDL2. (ergo libvorbis obsoletes vorbis)
I built an rpm of the latest xmms-cdread.

My proposal:

Load this stuff and hammer it. Lets log bugs and send them to the program
maintainers. Jon also found some dumb bugs in the xmms visualizations
where they were using the wrong endinness of the sound to display the
visualizations. Sound has long been a pain in the butt at every level from
the kernel to the muxes to the end apps. So lets be a bit more proactive
(tm) about hammering sound stuff to make it better. If needs be, I will
maintain a reference set of patches against sound apps or whatever we need
to be able to tell where we are and far we have to go.

-jeramy

PS: there are 4-5 rh advisory security updates i built in that dir also