Re: Problem installing

Subject: Re: Problem installing
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 18:41:20 MDT

Usually that's a problem with the runlevel, in that YDL I think defaults
to runlevel 5 (that's the graphical runlevel using gdm or whatever kde's
graphical login is ) - There's a couple of solutions - use ctrl+alt+F1 you
can switch to a text terminal, and from there login and set in
/etc/inittab the default runlevel to 3. Then, reboot, configure X. The
config for dual-head is more tricky. First, you need to be using X4.0.1
or greater (which YDL has), then there's an option in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 under
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "Xinerama"
EndSection
If you don't have this section, add it.
Next, do
XFree86 -scancpi
Look for your two video cards. In the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, there
should be two cards listed. If not, you need to add a second section for
the config file. Both need the option BusID which is usually in the form
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
which would represent the AGP card and
BusID "PCI:0:15:0"
which would represent your other video card. Anyway, after both are
configured, and in there, you need two monitor sections, and then two
screen sections, the screen sections each using a different set of
card/monitors.
Then, in the ServerLayout section

Screen "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
Screen "Screen1"

instead of what is there
I can include a more detailed setup instructs for you, if needed,
offlist/onlist. Just email me.
Cheers!
Jason McIntosh
p.s. - the problem is still an X configuration error - you've got to look
at the hardware settings in the XF86Config file. Your hardware settings
being off will cause the wierd display on your other monitor.

| Jason McIntosh | CELL: 573-424-7612 |
| Webmaster, thinker, etc. | WORK: 573-884-3865 |
| http://web.missouri.edu/~c717990/ | |
|"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are |
|for. I only coded it." |
|(Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting) |