Re: Problem installing

Subject: Re: Problem installing
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 12:49:45 MDT

> Hi again, and this may be covered when you post the information on your site
> but I'll ask now anyway...where do I look to see the config information? The
> process I'm going through right now is as follows:
>
> 1) I put the YDL Install CD in my G4
> 2) I boot up holding "C" down so that I boot off of the disk
> 3) I receive the boot: prompt
> 4) this is the point where I run into problems because whether I try the GUI
> Install or the non-GUI install my right monitor display seems to be funky.
> My left monitor displays all of the config information but at this point my
> keyboard also seems to quit working as none of the keys, including the TAB
> and arrow keys.

Ok, the config file I use for dual-head support is here:
http://www.missouri.edu/~jwm05c/computers/linux/XF86Config-4
To actually get your keyboard to work is a trickier matter. If you can't
get access to it from the command prompt, if you switch out of that
display, there are other problems. Usually, a ctrl+alt+F2 or F1 or one of
the F* keys will bring you to a text prompt where you should be able to
type in things, instead of using the mouse. If you get to that command
prompt, and it still doesn't work, things get trickier.
Usually to get a boot prompt, when it asks which kernel you want to load
at the ybin prompt, you can usually type the kernel image name, followed
by init <runlevel> - i.e.

linux-2.4.4-benh init 3

Now, if that doesn't work, the last bit is to try upgrading your kernel
with a new image. I'd download the binaries from
http://http://penguinppc.org/~benh/
I'll post my kernel and modules as well. I've got my PowerBook kernel
image, although if I remember my config - it should work for any newer
PowerPC machines. The cool thing about my kernel is it does have support
for the PowerBook Montor out, so you can dual-head support.

Anyway, as I said, give me a day or two to get it all up there.
Cheers!
Jason McIntosh