Re: traceroute broken on YDL 2.0?

Subject: Re: traceroute broken on YDL 2.0?
From: Neil Jolly (neil@jollycom.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 07:28:05 MDT

On July 30, 2001 06:59 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems traceroute is acting up on YDL 2.0.
>
> Here is the error message:
>
> [root@localhost traceroute-1.4a5]# ./traceroute www.yahoo.com
> traceroute: Warning: www.yahoo.com has multiple addresses; using
> 64.58.76.223 traceroute to www.yahoo.akadns.net (64.58.76.223), 30 hops
> max, 38 byte packets
> traceroute: sendto: Operation not permitted
> 1 traceroute: wrote www.yahoo.akadns.net 38 chars, ret=-1
> *traceroute: sendto: Operation not permitted
> traceroute: wrote www.yahoo.akadns.net 38 chars, ret=-1

It looks to me like you're running a firewall that's blocking traceroute. If
you're using iptables you can add this rule to allow traceroute to work
properly.

IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp --sport 32769:65535 --dport 33434:33523 -j ACCEPT

It's farly easy to translate the above rule to use ipchains as well. See man
ipchains, and man iptables to help you out with the translation.

Neil