Re: traceroute broken on YDL 2.0?

Subject: Re: traceroute broken on YDL 2.0?
From: Neil Jolly (neil@jollycom.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 20:00:57 MDT

On July 30, 2001 08:46 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will check that but I can use traceroute taken from YDL 1.2 (which
> actually is the exact same version of traceroute except compiled for glibc
> -2.1.3 and kernel 2.2.X) with absolutely no problems on my machine (and the
> same firewall is used).
>
> /sbin/ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -s 0/0 67 -d 0/0 68 -p udp
>
> If I remember correctly, doesn't the implementation of sendto rely on
> kernel?
>
> Hmm... it could be ipchains related but the old traceroute works fine.

If the old traceroute works correctly then I would suspect that that it's not
ipchains related. The sendto implementation would have to vary with the
kernel since it relies on the #includes sys/socket.h and sys/types.h, which
are likely to change with kernel types.

However traceroute works fine on my biege g3 running a box stock install of
ydl 2.0/2.2.19, and no firewall running locally (it's behind another
firewall). I've had problems clearing ipchains rules in the past. One way to
be certain is to remove your firewall script from your startup scripts, and
reboot temporarily with no firewall, and then retest traceroute.

Neil