Simple question about setuid bits

Subject: Simple question about setuid bits
From: Dr. David Sterling (sterling@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 19:53:58 MDT

Hi, I have a simple question that's been nagging at me for the better
part of a week now.

After some struggling, I managed to get PPP up and running with the
2.2.?? (default YDL 2.0) kernel, but now 'telnet' and 'ftp' report
"Hostname lookup failed" unless I'm logged in as root. Given this I was
surprised that 'ping' and 'ssh' seem to be able to resolve names just
fine for all users. A quick inspection reveals the setuid bit is cleared
on 'telnet' and 'ftp'
while it is set for 'ssh' and 'ping'. In my state of 'newbie' befuddlement
I'm left to wonder whether all internet clients should have the same
permissions as 'ping', and if so, why didn't the installer (Developer
install) do this?

Any comments from those of you with more experience would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David