Re: Learning about kernel modules

Subject: Re: Learning about kernel modules
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 13:11:34 MST

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Tim Moloney wrote:

> If this list is not the best place for this, please me point me to
> a better place.

You should probably post to linuxppc-dev@lists.linuxppc.org. This list is
more for YDL distribution-specific questions... and not only that, the
other list has more readers. :)

> I have just finished reading the "Linux Kernel Module Programming
> Guide" (http://http://linuxdoc.org/LDP/lkmpg/mpg.html") and have
> started working with the example code. It appears that the example
> code for the 2.2.x kernel used in the book does not work properly
> with the 2.2.18 kernel. Is there a later version of this document
> or another document that explains the differences needed to get the
> source to compile cleanly?
>
> Examples of compiler errors and warnings:
>
> Chapter 1 (single source file)
>
> gcc -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX -c hello.c
> hello.c: In function `init_module':
> hello.c:26: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `printk_Rsmp_dd132261'

For the record, I get the same thing, both on PPC and x86. Unfortunately
I'm not able to try insmod'ing on the x86 box, but on PPC I get a missing
symbol (obviously).

-Hollis