do we need -fPIC for X11R6 modules

Subject: do we need -fPIC for X11R6 modules
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 18:54:57 MDT

Hi Ani,

Quick question. Should we be building X11R6 modules with -fPIC? When I
try, the resulting modules generate lots of unresolved symbols (like
"fixup", etc).

What exactly are X11R6 modules? Are they shared libraries? If so, they
should be built using -fPIC? If they are not shared libraries, how are
they "loaded" and "linked" in?

If they are "loaded and linked" into a normal shared library, then -fPIC
should be used anyway.

I guess I don't understand how a load-on-demand module can be created
without -fPIC.

Any guidance you (or anyone else :-) might provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin