Re: Xautoconfig on boot

Subject: Re: Xautoconfig on boot
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 18:19:15 MDT

on 14/10/01 11:03 PM, Bill Fink at billfink@mindspring.com wrote:

> I personally find this extremely vile. I don't think Xautoconfig
> should ever be run automatically at boot time. I always keep a
> backup copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 just in case the system does
> something stupid like this.

The problem is that when you boot using offb, you cannot change the color
depth or the resolution of your screen. X, as configured by XF86Config, is
almost guaranteed to try to change these settings, and when that fails it
will exit with the uninformative "No screens found" error message.

Xautoconfig (run only under offb) saves us here - it changes your XF86Config
so that it exactly matches your current resolution/color depth, so X works!

I do think backing up the old (non-offb) XF86Config is an extremely good
idea, but don't be so quick to criticize Xautoconfig... :)

-Hollis