Re: X

Subject: Re: X
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 08:26:32 MST

Hi Dan.

I have been trying to trace down the problem with the FBDev server and
figured I would share what I have learned thus far, on the off chance that
it might be helpful.

In my case, it appears that the server is dying on the xfree() in
miRegionDestroy() (miregion.c, line 359) when called from REGION_DESTROY()
in miCopyPlane (mibitblt.c, line 605). If the call to REGION_DESTROY() is
commented out, the server makes it quite a bit farther. But it still ends
up dying in Dispatch(); I haven't even tried to trace into that yet. It
appears that the call to miOpqStipDrawable() from miCopyPlane() might have
something to do with the problem. If commented out, the server does make
it past the xfree(), but of course the screen looks like crap and the
server still dies in Dispatch().

However, I discovered that the server does work if DefaultColorDepth
is set to 8, 15, or 24. It just seems that 16 and 32 cause the server
to crash.

If you have any tests you would like me to try, I would be happy to
do so.

Jim

Dan Burcaw's bits of Wed, 2 Feb 2000 translated to: