Re: Misc

Subject: Re: Misc
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 01:04:20 MST

Hi Jim,

> 1) enlightenment has some rather annoying bugs and I was wondering if there
> might be any easy fix for them (or anyone else supporting a newer version
> for PPC). First, it does a very poor job of remembering the layout of the
> desktop; it doesn't understand the difference between the sections of a
> virtual desktop and it doesn't handle multiple invocations of the same
> program (e.g. all xterms go to the place where the first one was remembered).
> I had this same problem on my x86 machines, and a newer version of
> enlightenment fixed it up. Second, under enlightenment (and gnome),
> highlighting of xterm cursors don't follow mouse focus. It works OK for
> a few seconds, but after a minute or so all of the cursors end up solid
> black. Getting tired of typing in the wrong xterm ;)

Ok, I'll look into this one.

> 2) Every time I ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org from Netscape I get a pop up dialog
> stating that Netscape has run out of memory and I should shut down some
> other applications. If I check /proc/meminfo, it tells me I still have
> about 45 MB of physical and 120 MB of virtual memory. Any ideas? Or is
> this a special feature to ensure customer loyalty ;) Joking of course.

Yes, this seems to be a problem with their ftp site. Others have reported
it. It does the same thing w/ Netscape on an x86 linux box.

> 3) The /usr/bin/netscape script is broken. It tries to look for things
> in /usr/$sysname-glib20-linux/lib which doesn't exist. Thus netscape
> doesn't ever come up.
>
> 4) There is no link for ld-linux.so.2 (also looked for by the netscape
> script).

Both of these are fixedin the latest build.

> 5) There is a syntax error in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Line 40 says
> something like
>
> if [ -z $XKB_IN_USER -a ! -L /etc/X11/X ]; then
>
> which I presume should be
>
> if [ -z $XKB_IN_USER && -a ! -L /etc/X11/X ]; then

Thanks, I'll fix this one.

> 6) The current version of /etc/X11/xinit/Xmodmap maps the "e" key to
> delete, at least on a PowerBook.

Yes, I noticed this. Will fix it tomorrow.

> 7) Gnome comes up with a window containing the Red Hat logo.

Will fix this soon as well.

Basically besides these little things, we have 3 major priorities
for Ruff Pack... kernel rpm w/ working USB support, XFree86 fix
for Lombard and others?, sgml-tools fix (appears to be gcc 2.95 related
problem)

Here is my current list of stuff that doesn't build:

* AfterStep
(sgml-tools BuildRequire)

* XFree86
(I merged in Rawhide's latest version which fixed some
descriptions and such, and gzips many pages.. but now something is
screwy, reversing the 3 new patches doesn't seem to help.

* Xconfigurator (new version, have to fix YDL patch; 1 line reject in the
                  patch)

* Zope
(a patch doesn't apply; gross spec file)

* apache-config
(C++ problem of some sort, -fpermissive doesn't help)

* autorun
(needs sgml-tools)

* emacs
(seg fault during build; above XFree86 rev has a patch to fix this,
but haven't been able to build X again yet, so... )

* iputils
(R_PPC_REL24 crap on ping6.c -- ipv6 stuff; may just disable)

* jade
(missing config,h, Allocator.h, macros.h; haven't had time to investigate)

* kde2libs
(C++ problems; need to investigate)

* kdebase
(R_PPC_REL24 problem that seems to have come out of nowhere :)

* kdoc
(missing files at %install processing execution)

* kernel
(need to get latest Ben H patches in and a WORKING USB backport)

* kxicq & kvirc
(these problems just aren't being friendly. Can't get them to find
 QT 1.45 stuffs)

* mysql
(need to try -fpermissive on this one..)

* pidentd
(dies after can't find des.h; why should it need this?)

* pirahna
(need newer kernel includes)

* pmake
(can't find files at %install processing time)

* printer-config
(C++ stuffs, need to try -fpermissive)

* rpm
(new version, need to merge YDL rebuildb patch in -- waiting for troy to
 update cvs with that.)

* sgml-tools
(C++ yuck problems)

* squid
(needs sgml-tools)

* xfig
(need to fix Makefile, I think its trying to chmod a hardwired patch
 when running make install; haven't verified yet)

On a different note, I'll prolly post our build system python script
tomorrow so folks can do automated builds if they REALLY wanna be bleeding
edge :)

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/