Xconfigurator and quotation/inches

Subject: Xconfigurator and quotation/inches
From: Kevin M. Myer (kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 12:17:40 MST

Hello,

I have found a problem with using Xconfigurator for X server setup on
Champion Server 1.2. Basically, any Monitor or Screen directive that uses
" to delimit entries will cause X setup to fail. By this I mean I used
Xconfigurator to setup X using an Apple 21" Color Monitor. This caused an
entry to be created like:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Apple Macintosh 21" Color Display"
blah

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Apple Macintosh 21" Color Display"
blah blah

Naturally, the 21" part throws things off because its being interpreted as
the end of the string.

This is not a new thing either - I remember having the same problem with
an install on the x86 side a year or so ago where I manually entered a
monitor name as 21" something or other and X startup failed. NB: I'm not
complaining that it doesn't recognize the 21" character - I just changed
it to 21 and went merrily on my way. But by default, it was configured
this way so it would be nice if Xconfigurator would have a few monitor
definition changes where " is removed from the strings.

--
Kevin M. Myer
Systems Administrator