more on my dump/tape issue.

Subject: more on my dump/tape issue.
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 23:09:32 MDT

Did more work on my backup/DAT/dump issue.

It looks like it's a bug in dump. I tested with tar instead, and it
works fine with the drive (so I simply did my backups using tar...).
What I was seeing was that the dump processes just went idle, as if
they were waiting for a response from the tape drive; this hang
happened at random places (in five tests, as early as 2-3 minutes
into the dump, and as last as with 2 minutes to go in a 1.7 gig
backup). Since tar works fine with the drive, it doesn't seem to be a
driver issue, but dump seems to lose track of things. If I interrupt
the dump process and terminate it, it'll rewind the tape properly, so
it looks like the drive and driver are still working fine (unless the
driver is losing an interrupt or something...).

But my instinct says it's dump...

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"