bootx, PBG3(1999), and macos x

Subject: bootx, PBG3(1999), and macos x
From: A S Hodel (a.s.hodel@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:21:15 MDT

I've been using YDL 1.2 in a dual boot powerbook 1999 (lombard/bronze)
mac laptop running MacOS 8.6. I selected to use bootX since it
seemed the easiest to get running.

I've installed Mac OS X on my machine, putting the MacOS 9.1 (temporarily) on
an external scsi drive for "classic" applications. if I boot from
this startup disk and use bootx (v 1.2) to try to switch to YDL, the
screen goes black and
then nothing happens; the machine appears to hang, requiring a reboot.

Is bootX compatible with macOS 9.1? I've seen comments on the web
that make it seem so. If so, is there some difference between OS 8.6
and 9.1 that would make bootX misbehave?

Thanks,

ash