Re: PowerCenter Ethernet problems

Subject: Re: PowerCenter Ethernet problems
From: Tom Tarka (tommy@mp3.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 18:45:17 MDT

John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> It's definately not a problem with the physical port. I've actually
> tried both... both work well under MacOS. The AAUI works slightly
> better under Linux, but is still useless.
>
> >From what I can tell, the problem I'm having is pretty much related
> to the problems had by 7200 owners trying to use the on-board
> Ethernet. (Makes sense, the PowerCenter is the same architecture.)
> From what I have gathered on the net, it's some sort of breakage in
> the Mace driver, possibly introduced in an early 2.2.x kernel. It may
> have something to do with sending long packets, may have something to
> do with the fact that a hub is involved, and may have something to do
> with the early revision of the Mace chip (9.64) or with how the
> Ethernet timing is generated (not sure if the PowerCenter using an
> ASIC or a separate clock chip).

i *believe* i was running a kernel version of either 2.2.7, 2.2.8, or
2.2.12 and I didn't have any noticable network problems on the
PowerCenterPro 180 (prior to a harddrive crash that I haven't had the
time to sort out since), but I'm not sure that the PC Pro
is the same architecture, so I'm not sure that that gives you any useful
info.

    -t