Re: Installing via FTP over DSL

Subject: Re: Installing via FTP over DSL
From: Tom Tarka (tommy@mp3.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 00:22:34 MDT

Dan Parvaz wrote:

> Dear list-guru-types,
>
> I'm trying to do an FTP install of CS1.2 over my DSL line to my 7600/120.
> In MacOS, all my box needs to know is that it is forming a DHCP connection
> with my Cisco 675. When I begin to install YDL and I mention that I use
> DHCP, it returns a correct secondary DNS; I don't have a domain or a host
> name, since I don't have a static IP connection.
>
> FTP Site: ftp.linuxberg.com
> YellowDog directory: pub/distributions/Yellowdog/champion-1.2/ppc
>
> It can't grab the secondary ramdisk image. Hopping over to the install
> log, I see that the install program is trying to ftp from the right place,
> but I get an error saying it can't ftp. I tried doing an http download
> from sourceforge with similar non-results.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

try futzing with the path, i.e. taking the "ppc" off the end
or appeding the "/Yellowdog" to the end of that.

you can also switch the another virtual console (#3?) by
hitting ctrl-cmd-3 (try 2,3,4, etc.) and it'll be printing out the
path of the file that the installer is trying to grab. If that path looks
right,
then just try a couple more times as it might just be a net congestion issue.

Alternately, if you have another unix box on your lan, you could download
the ISO, mount it, and export it with NFS. (that's what i'll be doing
tonight for a reinstall).

This beats ftp because sometimes the (at least with my DSL) the ftp
disconnects
in the middle, so you have to keep watching your computer and hitting "try
again" periodically,
which is annoying.

good luck.
    -t