Re: PISMO PB 400mhz, startup problem, very easy to solve, so HELP ME!

Subject: Re: PISMO PB 400mhz, startup problem, very easy to solve, so HELP ME!
From: Ken Scott (kscott-list@pcisys.net)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 14:15:26 MDT

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, William A. Harkness wrote:

> Problem: Keyboard not functioning at welcome to YDL screen press [ok]
>
> HD parition
> HFS+ (with Mac OS 9.0.4) (I upgraded the firmware as well) (2.5 gig)
> AUX/ROOT (2.5 gig)
> HFS 150 mb
> AUX/SWAP 150 mb
>
> (I assume they are in this order 9,10,11,12)

[Lots of config snipped]

> init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
> options.\n\n"
> timeout = 150
> default = install
>
> image = hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1
> label = install
> initrd = hd:11,ramdisk.image
> initrd-size = 8192
> append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17"
>
> image = hd:11,vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1
> label = linuxppc
> root = /dev/hda10
> append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"
>
> (I copied it mainly from the http://www.Go2Mac.com/articles/read.cfm?id=202
> page) I'm not quite sure what to do with the label=linuxppc since on
> yellodoglinux.com's support page which pointed to
> http://modctek.com/linux_report.htm showed the same configuration, and it
> worked. So I guess it's irrelevant?
>
> ------------
> I know it looks perfect so far.
>
> However, with my /boot (the HFS HD), I cannot CHOOSE that as a "start-up"
> disk - They said that there's no valid System File nor does the disk driver
> software support the start-up selection.
>
> No matter, I have the YellowDog_Install CD in it, and I'm about to restart.
> I have two choices
>
> 1) Press C and allow the CD to boot, which will bring me into the yaboot
>
> or
>
> 2) Press Control-Option-O-F to boot, which will bring me into the open
> firmware.

This is the choice that you want to do, got into Open Firmware.

> I tried them both.
>
> On YellowDogLinx support page, they pointed me to
> http://modctek.com/linux_report.htm
> which suggests booting via OF
>
> at OF, I'm supposed to type
>
> boot hd:11,yaboot

At this point, try typing boot hd:11,yaboot.tbxi

> However, that doesn't work at all, it keeps saying it cannot be opened. I
> even tried
> boot hd:9,yaboot
> boot hd:10,yaboot
> boot hd:12,yaboot
>
> *Nothing worked. Should I splice off the .txbi extension from the yaboot?
> rename it as yaboot only?.. will it make it any better?*

If you renamed or did anything to the yaboot.tbxi file, then recopy it
from where you downloaded it, and use the OF command I sent above.

HTH,
Ken

--
><>   Ken Scott   kscott@pcisys.net   http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

              This is the day that the Lord has made;
              I will rejoice and be glad in it!          -- Psalm 118:24