Re: Partition's Data Region doesn't occupy the entire partition

Subject: Re: Partition's Data Region doesn't occupy the entire partition
From: Greg Swallow (gswallow@netgawds.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 23:06:10 MDT

Hello,

I was getting this error earlier today. Think I found the problem.

At least for me, disk setup was completely overwriting the partition map
on my hard drive -- I have a System 7.5.2 disk that comes with my "new"
mac, and every time I initialized the disk it would screw up the
partition map so YDL 2.0 wouldn't install.

So, out of frustration having fought with the install all day, I exited
out of the X installer, ran this command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

And then booted again with the CD-ROM. Only this time, I used a newer
version of disk setup -- 7.5.2 comes with Drive Setup 1.0.2 (? -- I'm
still in the middle of an install and I don't want to check), while I
found a newer copy and ran that
(ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/mac/mirrors/apple/support/Utilities/Drive_Setup
? I dunno -- it's been a long day) off floppy.

Whammo! I'm now past the partitioning bit and I'm ready to assign mount
points, select packages, and in general evaluate this product versus
MkLinux :)

Anyway, it's also worth mentioning that I was not able to select
alternate rootdisks with BootX, like the mailing list suggested I could
-- therefore I think I coastered a CD -- who needs Tasty Morsels anyway
when you only have 1GB? Anyone have a clue about this one?