Re: YDL newbie & fatal errors

Subject: Re: YDL newbie & fatal errors
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 17:08:13 MDT

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:41:32 +0100 (BST) Lawrence Hodges
<lawrence_hodges@yahoo.co.uk> imparted to us:

> Hi All,
> I am really new to Linux and am running YDL 2 on an
> iMac 350. I have posted previous topics with no avail,
> but am trying to phrase my troubles as clearly as I
> can. Thanks for your help, in advance.
> (I have given YD a 4 gig partition on my 30 hard
> drive.)
> Here is the problem: WHEN I BOOT UP THE iMAC I RUN
> THROUGHT THE USUAL BOOTING UP, UNTIL THE OS TRIES TO
> START UP MY DISPLAY (aka "screen?"). I HAVE RECOGNIZED
> THAT THERE IS NONE FOUND. CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT THIS
> MEANS TO ME? HERE IS THE EVIDENCE:
> "(--)Chipset ATI Tage 128 RL (AGP) found
> (II) Loading /usr/x11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (II) Module vgahw : vendor = "The
> XFree86Project" compiled for 4.0.2, module version =
> 0.1.0
> (II) R128 (O): PCI bus 0 card 16 Func 0
> (EE) R128 (O): Given depth (32) is not supported
> by R128 driver
> (II) Unoading /usr/x11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have usable
> configuration
>
> Fatal server error: no screens found"
>
> I really need help. If you could tell me anything, I
> would really appreciate it. Thanks, again.

I think it's saying it can't do 32 bit, that it can find other color
depths but, they aren't set up, and therefore it can't continue. Try
lowering your color depth to 24-bit or even 16-bit and see what happens.

I haven't done much more than tinker with YDL and don't know if you can
run in single user mode. If you can't do single user, I'd get it to log
in period first. That may or may not mean reinstall (see below). If you
must, I'd get it to log into the desktop as root, open a terminal window
and type

init 3

Once at a command line, you can try reconfiguring X to move it to a
higher color depth.

Personally, I like logging into runlevel 3 for reasons such as this.
Sometimes font paths get messed-up, sometimes the X configuration goes
nutty, sometimes you change hardware and the old settings won't work,
sometimes an upgrade of libraries breaks things, etc. If you log into
runlevel 5 you won't be able to login at all when these catastrophes
strike, and would have to work around it to get it fixed. Logging into
level 3 at least will let you login. Once in you can toy with settings
to make the desktop work like it should. There are even ways to let
users login and automatically go to a desktop and still leave the root
account capable of going to commandline.

With that said, I'm not sure if runlevel 5 is the default or if you're
even given a choice (I only installed YDL once and got it to work; the
wife plays with it and I do the PC thing). But, it can easily be changed
in /etc/inittab if one doesn't have the proper choice during install.

--
There's no place like ~