eth0: media is TP /server crash

Subject: eth0: media is TP /server crash
michaelbaker@operamail.com
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 17:37:45 MST

hi. I've just made it through my first YellowDog 1.2.1 installation on a
single processor 400Mhz OHCI G4. After getting yaboot figured out booting
continued starting services until 'sendmail' came up where this error repeats:

eth0: media is TP
eth0: media is unconnected, link down or incompatible connection.

If I enter interactive mode and not start any services the login prompt
appears. when I 'startx' this happens:

display artifacts followed by keyboard, mouse and video setings then...

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I searched the archives a bit to find some mentionings of compiling another
kernel and other mentionings about not compiling another kernel...help

thanks in advance,

m baker