IP forwarding

Subject: IP forwarding
ghannon@cspi.com
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 08:10:57 MST

I did not know I needed ipforwarding when I did my install, but now I know
need it.
Someone wants to use the MAC as a gateway and allow a remote mount across
it.

If I change the /etc/sysconfig/network file to have

FORWARD_IPV4=yes

it doesn't do it.

If as root I enter:

# echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

it does.

Is there a "standard" way to get this started at boot?
Do I need to enable any services?, edit a script somewhere?

I know there are probably volumes about networking I could read, but I need
the
"nutshell" answer please.

Thanks,
Gary Hannon