Re: Ok ok ISO images again...

Subject: Re: Ok ok ISO images again...
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:12:22 MST

Jeff Minard wrote:

> I downloaded the ISO image form two places, and neither of them would mount
> in either ShirnkWrap 3.5, Toast 5.0.2, or DiskCopy 6.3.3.
>
> What in the world am I supposed to be using here? (I am on a MacG4 TiBook
> currently in OS9.2)

The ISO images are CD images - and are of limited use until you actually
create CDs out of them. These CDs are then used to boot your system and
install everything.

Don't be fooled by the complexities of burning CDs (mounting, mastering,
etc etc) - the disk is already finally mastered as it is. The minute you
mount that CD image you end up creating a new CD image - usually without
all the bootable and other attributes that make the disk work, and you
end up with a coaster.

So - take the image, and using you favourite CD burner program select
"burn disk image" and do just that.

Be aware that some CD burner programs (like Nero) expect certain file
extensions other than .iso for a CD image - simply select "show all
files" and your CD image and you should be laughing.

Regards,
Graham