Re: Sound from a Cube?

Subject: Re: Sound from a Cube?
From: Patrick Smith (patsmith@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 14:16:40 MST

Merrill Aldrich wrote:
> I downloaded and installed kernel 2.4.8-0.4c from the Yellow Dog ftp site,
> based on your suggestion, but still cannot get any sound.

I don't know much about sound, so all I can do is tell you about my
experiences...

I compiled kernel 2.4.8 from source, using a config file based on the
one in the 2.4.* (2.4.4?) kernel rpm that ships with YDL 2.0. This was
modified to not use modules; everything is built right into the kernel.
I can send a copy of this config file if you want.

Since YDL said sound wasn't supported on the Cube, I didn't expect any,
and was surprised to hear sounds the first time I played the Alpha
Centauri game. Since then, I've found other places where sounds work.
But other things still don't work. Most noticeably, I can't get the
console or an xterm to beep. Presumably this is just a question of
configuration somewhere, and I haven't looked hard enough to find what
has to be configured.

Try this:

        play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_RimShot.wav

(play is from the sox rpm; KDE_Beep_RimShot.wav is from kdebase). This
command makes noise on my system; does it on yours?

> I was looking in rc.sysinint, and located the following code, which I think
> is wrong or outdated, because it fails when I boot the machine:

I get error messages here as well, but haven't worried about them. My
kernel doesn't have modules, so I'm not surprised modprobe fails.
Although I think I got the error even when using the stock kernel
supplied with YDL 2.0.

--
patsmith@pobox.com