Re: Processor upgrade card.

Subject: Re: Processor upgrade card.
From: Alex Hanzlik-Green (fancymouse@ozagno.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 19:47:31 MST

>At 6:55 PM -0500 12/20/01, John Nelson wrote:
>>Is there a reason NOT to use LinuxPPC as opposed to Yellow Dog?
>
>Perhaps the fact that LinuxPPC is an aging distribution which
>appears to be dead? (*) If LinuxPPC works for you, it works for
>you, but most people would probably be better served by Yellow Dog,
>especially those using newer hardware.

The last time I had LinuxPPC Q4 up and running, the mouse worked
better (second button gave me upgrade/install/delete features), the
system was faster (I can recall calling me mother-in-law and telling
her that my 8500 was making noises like it was on cocaine--"How would
you know," being her response), and I had few if any lib errors.

When I upgraded the kernel, a copy of the kernel was sent into my
boot partition, and I could mount all drives in Linux.

YDL, though the install was hella easier, isn't so savvy. I was
upset that the LinuxPPC distro was being neglected and that I had to
change over. How long before someone can take over a Linux project?
On the LinuxPPC list, there has been talk--albeit from
time-to-time--about the aforementioned, but when.

Was it Haas that left? When he left, it kinda went south in a hurry.

And let's not forget the demise of Linuxppc.org. We should address that too.

sad,

Alex

--
Don't mess with me or I'll make fun of you behind your back.

--C. Hanzlik

mailto:fancymouse@ozagno.net http://www.ozagno.net