Re: Put home directories on second hard drive?

Subject: Re: Put home directories on second hard drive?
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 11:45:14 MST

On Saturday, December 22, 2001, at 10:25 AM, Zeke Runyon wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies and help. I now know how to add the 2nd
> drive software-wise, but I'm having problems with the hardware now.
>
> The SCSI 'chain' (?) is like this: ribbon cable from the motherboard to
> the CD-ROM drive, then to the existing drive, then there is a connecter
> at the end of the chain and a power cable. I connect the new drive at
> the end of the chain. I boot up. The happy mac icon shows up, then the
> screen goes grey with a cursor, like it is trying to find the startup
> disk. It sits and sits and sits.

If the happy mac shows up, it has already found the startup disk (or a
valid system folder, wherever it may be [HD, CD, Floppy for that
matter]). My guess it is having trouble mounting/initializing the disk
or there is a SCSI chain problem.

> I hit the interrupt switch, unplug the power, and disconnect the new
> drive. It boots fine. I power down, disconnect this drive and plug in
> the 2nd drive which has no system software, it is just a blank HFS
> formatted drive, so insert the OS 9 install CD and it boots fine and
> the drive mounts.

I'm sure someone has pointed it out, but does each HD (the "existing
drive" and the "new drive") have a unique SCSI ID? Does your Mac have an
internal terminator for the SCSI chain and is it connected to the last
drive in the chain? If not, is the last drive terminated? Could what you
call "a connector at the end of the chain" be a terminator?