Re: Network settings

Subject: Re: Network settings
From: Andrew Dacey (frugal@tildefrugal.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 14:49:34 MST

Luis Martínez wrote:

> I recently take my home computer G3 YDL, with network settings pointing to
> 192.168.x.x, and installed it in my office network, with an ADSL router and
> 10.0.0.0 network settings.
> I tried to change the network settings under linuxconf, but it refuses to
> see the network. I cannot see that computer, and when I PING it I don´t have
> response.
> Cables are tested and linux looks like working as normal, Apache, PHP,
> MySQL, etc...
>
> Where can I check the network settings, or how can I make a proper change to
> these settings?

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the inherent network issues
you have here. 192.168.x.x is on a different subnet than your office
network (which is using the 10.x.x.x space). With that configuration,
you'll need to have a router to connect these 2 networks. The router
would need at least 2 ethernet interfaces, one connected to each
network. If you've just plugged this machine, with this config, into
your current network (which is probably connecting everything with a hub
or switch) then it won't work. Use an address from the 10.x.x.x space
(and on the same subnet as your other machines) instead.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@tildefrugal.net