YDL 2.1 + iBook2 install - NO INSTALL device found

Subject: YDL 2.1 + iBook2 install - NO INSTALL device found
rev_karma@mac.com
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 14:33:03 MST

Ditto.

I have been unable to get the CDRW/DVD Combo drive to get recognized by
the installer and am confused by others reports of it "just working".

If I use thekernel22 text-install, I can see in dmesg that it gets
detected correctly as /dev/hdb , a Sony DVD/CDRW 24X. When I get booted,
it refuses to recognize it.

The default kernel does not recognize any device names (i.e. /dev/hdb,
or any other ide cdrom device) and fails similarly.

I have tried with all these different kernels to use the advice provided
by previous ibook2 users of "echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media"

In the case of the newest kernels, this key does not exist at at all and
cannot be created by the "echo" command.

In the case of 22 kernels, the check_media file exists and can be
verified as containing 0, but has no effect on the cdrom device as valid
installation media.

Any suggestions?

This is a brand new 600 G3 iBook with the 14.1, DVD/CDRW combo drive...
Help, I miss my kde ... =-)