Re: IDE disk invisible to linux, claimed to be SCSI by MacOS

Subject: Re: IDE disk invisible to linux, claimed to be SCSI by MacOS
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 12:05:04 MST

At 3:32 PM +0100 2/23/02, dab wrote:
>I installed YDL, kernel 2.4.10 on an old Powermac 7300 with one scsi
>and one ide drive. Linux is on /dev/sda, MacOs 9.1 is on a partition of
>the ide drive.
>
>However, the ide drive is totally invisible to linux.
>the drive is on an AEC6280M PCI IDE card.
>
>The drive is recognized by MacOS without any trouble
>(indeed, it is where BootX boots from).
>However, Drive Setup claims it is a SCSI drive and
>pdisk (on MacOs) calls it /dev/scsi2.0 = /dev/sdb

The Acard (and similar IDE cards designed for MacOS) have MacOS
drivers which plug into the MacOS SCSI driver layers instead of IDE.
Thus, as far as MacOS is concerned, it's a SCSI disk.

>I tried the 'driver downgrade' trick I found here:
>http://www.linuxppc.com/news/macos9/
>but to no avail.
>
>I recompiled the kernel, enabling "AEC62xx support" and "AEC62xx tuning", but
>again, nothing.
>
>I found one guy had the exact same problem in June 2000, but he never
>got a reply:
>http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/yellowdog-general/June00/0526.html

Actually, it looks like he got much farther than you: his kernel
recognized the card, and attempted to initialize it, but he got a
kernel crash as soon as it attempted to scan partitions on the disk
attached to the card.

So for you, the question right now is why your custom kernel with the
driver compiled in is not seeing the card. Are you sure you really
booted that kernel? Did you compile the driver as a module?

--
Tim Seufert