Mac OS Ethernet Deafness

Subject: Mac OS Ethernet Deafness
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 13:33:45 MST

Hi again,
        As some of you may remembr, I'm in the process of figuring out how
to transition my Mac OS 9.1 server over to run YDL 2.1 On last Sunday, I
had a horror day when during the backup of the MacOS server, the SCSI drive
'lost' it's partition table & all data was lost.
        So, I got out a 7600 I had here, stuck a 2GB Quantum drive in & set
everything up from scratch, updating Mac OS 9.1 to Open transport 2.7.6
(latest as far as I can tell), set the web server app up & the mail server
& rebooted - everything fine.
        However, yesterday afternoon, the server went 'deaf' to it's onboar
ethernet - restarting didn't help, but I shut it down, then rebooted 30
seconds later & all was fine again.
        I had this problem before on the 7300 I was running, fixed by
installing a PCI ethernet NIC, which is what I've done on the 7600 as well.
        So, my question for those of you who have your macs on for extended
periods is: does the Mac OS have problems with keeping it's ethernet up &
running after an extended 'on' period? The PCI cards don't seem to suffer,
only the 10 Base T onboard connectors - this is the 3rd machine I've had
this problem with & I'm suspecting it's drivers or the OS itself. I don't
think YDL suffers from this - any takers?

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au