Really disappointed in YDL2.1

Subject: Really disappointed in YDL2.1
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 15:34:53 MST

I have just been through an exhausting couple of days in updating my
8500/SMP to YDL 2.1. (Thanks to Dan Burkaw, who was gracious enough to
guide me through some difficulties.) But I am still quite frustrated at
things that worked in 2.0 that are QUITE BROKEN in 2.1: namely
Xconfigurator! I had a completely working X in 2.0 and now I cannot get it
to work in 2.1. The same choice for monitor (Apple Basic Color) and the
display is hosed, I have no way to exit from X and I have to force reboot
(with resulting fsck.) Does anyone know how to exit from a screwed-up X
environment? RH on Wintel allows alt-opt-bacskpace or some such keystroke.

The only reason I need X, by the way, is to run netcfg which I need to add
an additional interface. It seems netcfg REQUIRES X! Does anyone know how
to add an interface (I need to configure the additional NIC on eth1?) Or
is there an equivalent to netcfg which does not need to run in X?

TIA,
Mark
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/