Re: Beige Sound Trouble 101

Subject: Re: Beige Sound Trouble 101
From: Tehrasha Darkon (darkon@netins.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 04:11:29 MST

>There seems to be everything in your post except the kernel version.

Whoops! missed that. Its the generic 2.4.x that is packaged with YDL-2.1

> The ability of linux to produce any sound on my 9600 has varied with the
> kernel version. The PPC kernel maintainers have been restructuring the
> sound driver with the result that some official kernels do not support
> sound on older Macs. You can try:

I only updated my mac to 9.1 recently. Up untill that point I had flawless
interchange between 8.6 and YDL. Even MOL was working w/ sound and all.
Then I installed OS 9.1 and suddenly I had no sound under YDL anymore.
So there must be something that OS9 initializes (or doesnt) in the hardware
that is differant than the way 8.6 does, and linux aquires it during boot.

Its got me stumped...

>- getting a kernel from ppckernel.org
>- compiling sound into the kernel - this can work when a module doesn't

Every attempt ive made at compiling my own has resulted in build errors
of one sort or another, so I think ill try snagging a new one.

>Various other people have indicated that the mixer settings for internal
>sound can be defaulted to zero - so look at this with aumix or similar.

Mixer settings are fine, unfortunately.

--
My mailbox is NOT an advertisement medium.        Tehrasha Darkon
My address is NOT for sale, lease or rent.      darkon@netins.net