Re: Sonnet G3 upgrades and YDL on a 6500

Subject: Re: Sonnet G3 upgrades and YDL on a 6500
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 16:28:01 MDT

I have a PowerLogix G3 upgrade in my PowerBase 200, and the published
procedure with BootX doesn't set L2CR correctly. However, it's easy to
fix from the command line as root:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr

will print out the L2CR value in hex, along with an English translation
of what it means. If you write down what the G3 cache profiler tells
you in MacOS and OR it with 0x02000000, then stick it back in, your
cache will be enabled. Under MacOS I get 0xA9000016, so I do

echo '0xa9200016' > /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr

and the cache is enabled and working. This can also be put into the
startup scripts.

For those who are curious the L2CR encodes cache size, type, ratio, etc.
 The '0x02000000' clears the cache before it is activated to prevent
strange things from happening

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

---Ronnie Shakes