Bad kernel upgrade, Rescue CD = no-go. Help...

Subject: Bad kernel upgrade, Rescue CD = no-go. Help...
From: David (djhain@music.umass.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 11:40:22 MDT

I upgraded my kernel to Benjamin Herrenshmidt's version
2.2.17pre10-ben1. Unfortunately, my machine stalled/hung
before I was finished (why I don't know...), and now X crashes at
startup, with "reverting to run level 3", linuxconfig starts
and hangs at some info about configuring DMA for my drives. Trying to
force a start with run level 1, I get to the
sh# prompt, but my keyboard doesn't work. - I didn't get to configure it
for the new kernel (argh) & new input-layer...
  I'm trying to fix things with the YDL rescue CD, but I can't even run
FDisk on my drive - it replies that it can't open the drive...
yikes! Am I forced to do a whole new install, and everything that
involves ?

    System:
YDL CS 1.2
former kernel version linux-pmac-2.2.15pre19 (compiled and used
successfully with XFree86 v. 4)
G4 /AGP, 450 Mhz
yaboot 0.4