Re: sendmail - further explanation

Subject: Re: sendmail - further explanation
From: Eric Woods (woodse@alum.rpi.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 11:23:55 MDT

At 12:23 PM 7/3/2001, Mari Masuda wrote:
>....Since freeshell.org doesn't allow remote SMTP requests I can't use
>the SMTP option to send mail from within KMail, and it is kind of a pain
>to have to ssh to freeshell in order to send mail....

Mari -

Since freeshell.org isn't your ISP, you've still got hope of a simple,
non-sendmail solution. Specifically, your ISP (the ones providing your DSL
connection), not freeshell.org, can send your mail.

Let me explain how I've got my setup so that this may be clear:

This address I'm writing from is via an alumni service and I get mail from
it via a POP server (would be equivalent to your freeshell.org POP
service). I am reading this email on my Windows development machine (my
YDL box is the file server). I have a cable modem and use their SMTP
server to send out my email (would be equivalent to your DSL service's SMTP
server).

This is, I believe, very similar to your situation, except that you would
use KMail on your YDL install where I'm using Eudora on Windows. I could
be doing this via KMail on my YDL install, too. And I would set the SMTP
server settings in KMail to send mail via my cable modem service's SMTP server.

So, talk to the DSL folks, not the freeshell.org folks, and you should be
able to get what you need without bothering with sendmail.

         - Eric

P.S. Since you're into things like freeshell.org and you've got a dynamic
IP on your YDL box, you might like to check out www.dyndns.org.