Re: Apache, PHP4 and Mysql

Subject: Re: Apache, PHP4 and Mysql
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 12:04:55 MDT

Manuel,

1. Download the latest packages: PHP 4.0.6, Apache 1.3.20
2. untar them (I use /home/src).
3. cd into the apache-1.3.20 directory
4. do a:

./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
        --with-layout=RedHat \
        --enable-module=most \
        --enable-shared=max \
        --enable-module=log_agent \
        --enable-shared=log_agent \
        --enable-module=headers \
        --enable-shared=headers \
        --enable-module=info \
        --enable-shared=info \
        --enable-module=rewrite \
        --enable-shared=rewrite \
        --enable-module=speling \
        --enable-shared=speling

5. cd into the php-4.0.6 directory
6. do a:
./configure --with-apache=/home/src/apache_1.3.20 \
        --enable-force-cgi-redirect \
        --enable-url-includes \
        --enable-safe-mode \
        --enable-sysvsem \
        --enable-sysvshm \
        --enable-bcmath \
        --with-xml

7. Make PHP:
make
make install

8. Make Apache:
make
make install

Sometimes the libs are not getting dropped into the correct directory when
apache makes the install, can't remember if it was on the RedHat or the YDL
box. Mine live in /usr/lib/apache and /etc/httpd/modules is a symbolic link
to there.
You need to edit your httpd.conf file (in /etc/httpd/conf/) to have the
right server name and the correct directory entries for document root and
such. Just go through the file and make sure everything 'looks' right. If
you don't have ssl installed, don't worry much about it. If apache can't
start up because of a module not being there, comment it out. I only had to
do this for
#LoadModule db_auth_module modules/mod_auth_db.so
and the corresponding
#AddModule mod_auth_db.c

Seems apache 1.3.20 uses something else ;).

MySQL is already included with PHP. However, what comes with PHP might not
work out of the box. I have not installed MySQL as I'm using PostGreSQL.
You might have to add something like
--with-mysql=/home/mysql \

into the above PHP configure script. The /home/mysql is the directory where
you have your mysql installed (not the source directory where you build
mysql).

Enjoy!
Chris