YDL2 and Umax c500

Subject: YDL2 and Umax c500
From: J. Tirrell (j_tirrell@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 09:46:26 MDT

I was curious how successful other have been installing YDL2 on the Umax
c500. It is not "officially" supported, but I have seen messages on the
board of people using them. I have one such model with a 2 gig hard disk,
64 mb of RAM, and a 603 PPC at 200 mhz. I tried to install (with the 3 CD
set from Terrasoft) with a 500 MB MacOS 8.1 partition and a 1.5 gig
partition for the YDL2 installation. During the package installation (the
home/office package), I get the error message that the installer exited
abnormally and a reboot will occur in 180 seconds. This same event occurs
in the same place even after a low-level format and retry at installation.
Interestingly, if the partition size is changed so that the MacOS hfs
partition is increased to 1 gig (leaving 1 gig for the YDL2 installation)
the package installer gets much father before giving the error message. Or,
if I try a smaller package, like minimal or internet server, the installer
will also get much father before giving me the message. That leads me to
think the CD is not defective, as it isn't quitting in the same place.
Since changing the partition sizes changes when the error occurs, it seems
to be related to available disk space. Does this sound possible? If so,
could I just install a larger hard disk, create larger partitions, and solve
my problems? Any help would be appreciated.