Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?

Subject: Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?
From: Richard Brock (r.brock@snet.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 09:30:20 MDT

Hi.

I hadn't really meant the Open Firmware command line. When I press the
option key at boot time I get a graphical representation (buttons
really) of ALL partitions. I select the
appropriate button and it boots. In my case i get three buttons: one
for OS 9.1, one for OS X and one for YDL. Click and go!

On Saturday, July 21, 2001, at 09:52 AM, Ian Collier wrote:

>> You can bypass yaboot entirely and choose which OS to boot by holding
>> down the Option key at startup and entering Open Firmware. This is the
>> method I use and it works flawlessly everytime.
>
> On my PowerBook G3 (Pismo) I find I have to avoid option+C method or my
> YellowDog installation won't boot (can't see a boot disk on the
> relevant partition and defaults to OS 9). YellowDog, OS 9 and OS X both
> boot perfectly from Yaboot.
>
> The Open Firmware command line works for setting the default boot
> partition to the linux bootsrap partition.
>
> Others' milage may (indeed probably does) vary, but I'd be interested
> if anyone has any insight. Given that I have something that works I'm
> not losing any sleep over it. :-)
>
> That apart the yaboot.conf entries below look similar to mine.
>
> --Ian
>

>> On Saturday, July 21, 2001, at 01:21 AM, Ted Goranson wrote:
>>
>>> Friends--
>>>
>>> I am having trouble getting straight how I need to edit my
>>> yaboot.conf file for a triple boot. My hda assignments are:
>>>
>>> hda9 for OS 9.1
>>> hda10 for OS X
>>> hda11 for linux boot
>>> hda13 for linux
>>>
>>> I've seen conflicting advice on whether the new macosx line should be
>>> followed by a number or not. The rough form of the interesting part
>>> looks like this:
>>>
>>> boot=/dev/hda11
>>> macos=/dev/hda9