Re: YellowDog Linux 2.0 on RS/6000 42T (microchannel bus)?

Subject: Re: YellowDog Linux 2.0 on RS/6000 42T (microchannel bus)?
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 16:23:33 MDT

        Alex,

> Is there any chance that YellowDog Linux 2.0 will run on these old
> workstations? The hardware compatibility list mentions ``Older
> PowerPCs'', but, even though the unsupported hardware list doesn't
> explicitly mention Microchannel or RS/6000 42T, it says the PowerPC
> Linux kernel requires a PCI bus-based architecture, so I suppose we're
> still out of luck. Are we?

        Maybe or maybe not... It depends on how much work you want to
do. If you're willing to code, it might be possible to built a
Microchannel driver, although it might be cheaper to just buy a new
machine. ;) Also, if you have detailed technical specs on Microchannel,
we might be able to add support for it to the vOS, allowing it to run on
your machine. Just email me directly.

                        Sincerely,

                        Robert Vogt IV
                        ArborHost